Upper back problems are common in people of all ages. On this page, you can find information about common upper back issues and about treatment at our clinic in Bearstead, Maidstone, Kent. We offer a range of treatments including osteopathy, physiotherapy and sports massage, and also treat many related conditions such as lower back pain and neck pain.
Upper Back Problems
Our upper back, comprising the thoracic spine, shoulders, and surrounding muscles, plays a crucial role in maintaining proper posture, facilitating arm movement, and supporting the spine’s overall stability. Unfortunately, various factors can lead to discomfort and pain in this area. In such cases, seeking help from our professional osteopathic and physiotherapist clinicians can be immensely beneficial. The five most common upper back problems we see in clinic are detailed below:
Common Upper Back Problems
1. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: This condition arises from compression of the nerves and blood vessels between the collarbone and the first rib. It often leads to pain, numbness, and weakness in the neck, shoulder, and arm.
2. Kyphosis: Kyphosis is an exaggerated rounding of the upper back, often referred to as a “hunchback.” It can cause pain and limited mobility while impacting posture and overall spinal alignment.
3. Upper Crossed Syndrome: Characterized by muscle imbalances between the chest, shoulders, and upper back, this syndrome can lead to rounded shoulders, a forward head posture, and neck pain.
4. Shoulder Impingement: This occurs when the rotator cuff tendons become trapped in the space beneath the shoulder blade, causing pain, weakness, and restricted shoulder movement.
5. Scoliosis: While scoliosis can affect any part of the spine, it sometimes involves the upper back. It manifests as a sideways curvature, potentially causing discomfort and impacting overall body symmetry.
Why Consult Our Physiotherapists or Osteopaths?
Our physiotherapists and osteopaths, based in Bearsted Maidstone, are experts in diagnosing and treating musculoskeletal issues. They possess the knowledge and skills to assess your condition, identify underlying causes, and develop tailored treatment plans to alleviate pain, improve mobility, and enhance overall well-being.
Possible Treatment and Rehabilitation Options
1. Manual Therapy: Both physiotherapists and osteopaths employ hands-on techniques to manipulate and mobilize the affected areas, relieving tension, improving joint movement, and promoting healing.
2. Exercise Prescription: Targeted exercises can help strengthen weak muscles, improve posture, and enhance overall upper body functionality. These exercises are often tailored to your specific needs and condition.
3. Postural Education: Professionals can provide guidance on maintaining proper posture during daily activities to prevent further strain on the upper back.
4. Pain Management: Various modalities such as heat, ice, and electrical stimulation, Shockwave therapy can be employed to manage pain and reduce inflammation.
We Can Help
If you’re experiencing discomfort or pain, don’t let it hold you back from living your best life. When it comes to upper back problems, early intervention is key to preventing further complications. Our expert physiotherapists and osteopaths are here to help you regain your comfort and mobility. Schedule an appointment today to embark on your journey towards a pain-free upper back. Contact us at Scott Osteopathic & Sports Clinic and take the first step towards a healthier, more comfortable you.